Thursday, October 01, 2009

Two-Three sentence book reviews!

Union Atlantic by Adam Haslett from Nan A. Talese/DoubleDay: I've really got mixed feelings about this one; truthfully— it didn't seem finished. Parts are beyond excellent, while other sections of the novel seem to be rushed and less developed. I'll be VERY interested to read the reviews on this when it's released in January 2010.

Laika by Nick Abadzis from First Second: I absolutely love this graphic novel. A genuinely original work telling the true story of the first dog in space set in The Soviet Union during the 1950's. I can't wait to see what Abadzis does next.

Parker: The Hunter by Richard Stark & Darwyn Cooke from Idea & Design Works: Damn! Cooke adapts Stark's story of a man in 1960's NYC Hell bent on revenge with such skill that I cringe in jealousy! Cooke is such a masterful draftsman and storyteller that I think he could try his hand at ANY type of story and succeed!

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill from HarperCollins: This is the first time I've read anything by Hill, and this collection of short stories has me wanting to read everything else that he's written. Almost all of the tales are excellent, but the story "Pop Art" is on another level. At times reminiscent of Bradbury and Matheson, these stories transported me to another place.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I love these short reviews. Laika is on my wishlist; thanks for your thoughts!